The holiday season for most is the hardest time of year to stick to a diet and maintain a training program. Its a great time to be with family and friends, but, and i am sure you will agree with this, that family and friends can often be the motivating factor behind you not eating well. The most common lines i hear are “Oh come on Owen, your on holiday”, or “Owen you are missing out, just try this”, or “Owen you can burn it off tomorrow”!…. Combine this pressure with the abundance of great looking food and rich yummy deserts and it then becomes all to easy to lose yourself.
Yip, we have all been there right?
Well, here are some tips for you. In fact this is what i do and it has helped me every time – well 90% of the time:) i am human after all:)
Owens 5 Tips
- Drink lots of water: I normally drink a lot a water, but during these times i end up drinking more. Drinking water is such a simple trick as it helps fill you up before a big meal.
- Don’t skip meals: I never skip meals before a big meal out. I keep to my normal daily meal routine and have even had a bowl of oats before a night out, as it helps to keep me full.
- Don’t train before a big meal: I often try and not train at least 2 hours before a big feast. Reason being after intensive exercise your metabolism is flying and therefore you could end up eating more. Its sorta like going grocery shopping while hungry, you will end up buying unhealthy foods that you don’t need.
- Eat slowly: I always make a conscious effort to eat slowly. Studies have shown that the faster you eat the more likely you will eat more than you should.
- Control portion size: I don’t fill my plate at all. In fact the first thing i do is look for the salads and veggies, then i will look for the meats, chicken or fish and choose one. I have always managed to control my portions although its easier said than done at times.
The above tips are what i personally do. They may or may not work for you, but they could be worth a try:)
I have also put together some links for you check out:
- Effective Holiday Fitness Methods: Some awesome ideas on how to stay fit during the holidays.
- Stay On Your Diet During The Holidays: If you have been watching your weight all year, you certainly won’t want to add back the pounds during the holiday season! By making a commitment to yourself and your health, with these tips it will be possible to enjoy the holiday celebrations without adding extra pounds.
- ACE’s Top 10 Tips for Surviving the Holidays:The holidays can be a joyous time of year shared with family and friends, but they can also bring stress and anxiety as we struggle to keep up with often-unrealistic demands and expectations. That’s why it is so important for all of us to relax and take good care of ourselves. ACE’s top tips for surviving the holidays are great for increasing your energy and reducing your stress, this season and all year long.
- Holiday Fitness Tips: The winter months, compounded with stress of the holidays, can weaken the immune system. Compromised immune systems can cause headaches, colds, major illnesses, accidents on the job, low energy, and missed days at work. Missed days means missed opportunity to make money, which further stresses us out. Typically, your work-out routine and healthy eating habits are also missed. Stay fit and healthy this holiday season with this checklist.
- Healthy Holiday Survival Guide: Healthy food and fitness ideas for the holidays
Most of all have fun these holidays.:):)
- How To Lose Weight During The Holidays (q104.cbslocal.com)
- Staying Holiday Fit (fitgirlprettyworld.com)
- LA Weight Loss’ Heavenly Holiday Cookbook Newly Available Online (prweb.com)
- How Can I Lose Weight For Christmas? (fitnesstipsforlife.com)
- Simple and Crucial Dieting Tips and Ways to Get Metabolism Going! (joannamilonas.wordpress.com)
- Tips To Avoid Holiday Weight Gain (thenew1037.cbslocal.com)
- Enjoy More by Eating Less (alwaysfirstathletics.wordpress.com)
- 8 Tips to Stay Healthy This Season (news.health.com)
- Nutritionist Anne Evans’ Guide to Surviving Holiday Festivities (stacymccain.wordpress.com)
- How to reduce stress during the Holiday Season! (bccsolutions.wordpress.com)